Interim Initiative Lead
5 month term | 20 hours a week
- Are you an inspired, creative individual with an interest in the Arts and Culture sector in the City of Toronto?
- Do you identify with alternative education spaces locally and internationally who challenge the status quo?
- Do you enjoy supporting mentorship and capacity building collaborations?
- Do you identify with critical self-empowerment as an integral component to the learning experience?
- Are you an organized individual with the ability to take initiative to complete tasks while working within a collaborative space?
- Are you committed to access and equity?
If you answered yes to these questions, you might be the right candidate for this job opportunity.
Lost Lyrics Mission
Lost Lyrics, an initiative of The Base, and a project of Tides Canada Initiatives believes that in order to create a world you want you must take a stand. We are a mobile and innovative learning incubator that empowers thousands of young people to create a bridge of knowledge between the streets and the classroom. We locate critical self-empowerment as an integral component to the learning experience. Students define the curriculum and create a positive and reflective self-image while having fun using arts-based tools of education. What really sustains Lost Lyrics is our local and international programming where communities express and produce new ways of challenging the status quo through the critique of mainstream media, sharing new information within their peer circles, and speaking back to the banking system of education. Together we rise and fight for the creation of a better world where we have no choice but to take a stand.
The Initiative Lead works in collaboration with the Lost Lyrics Advisory Council andThe Base Project Director to implement the strategic goals and objectives of Lost Lyrics while giving direction and leadership toward the achievement of the Initiative’s philosophy, mission, strategy, and annual goals and objectives. The Lost Lyrics Initiative Lead is responsible for cultivating, convening and coordinating the activities of Lost Lyrics.
Anticipated Start Date: February 2015, until June 2015
Location: Toronto Salary: $21.50/hour x 20 hours a week
Key Responsibility Areas
- Coordinate meetings, communications and related administration
- Serve as the intermediary between The Base Project Director and the Lost Lyrics Advisory Committee
Management and Administration
- In collaboration with the Advisory Committee and The Base Project Director, define, plan, execute and evaluate Lost Lyrics’ long-term and short-term goals
- Oversee day-to-day operations
- Prepare and report regular activity reports to primary stakeholders and administrative partners
- Work with the Resources Lead to prepare grant proposals
- Work with the Resources Lead and Programming Coordinator to ensure compliance with all grant agreements
- Upon approval of Project Director and using TCI processes, arrange and supervise the work of employees/contractors
- Work with the Project Director, TCI Finance Lead and Resources Lead to ensure the financial health of the project
- Work with Resources Lead to prepare annual budget for Advisory Committee input and prudently manage project resources within budget guidelines according to current laws, regulations and TCI operations
- Manage budgetary expenditures and limits · Submit annual budget and revisions, financial reports and invoices to The Base Project Director in a timely fashion
- Review all invoices and expense reports and ensure the appropriate supporting documents are submitted to The Base Project Director as per the agreed upon schedule
- Review the monthly financial statements with The Base Project Director
- Along with The Base Project Director and TCI Finance Liaison, monitor and ensure adequate cash flow to meet short and long-term financial commitments
- Communicate to employees/contractors and volunteers the goals, policies and principles of Lost Lyrics and TCI
- Work with the Program Coordinator to train staff through the development of Project DocuTeach and Lost Lyrics Bootcamp
- Be knowledgeable and familiar with TCI human resources guidelines, policies and practices
- Supervise all initiative personnel/contractors (unless a designated supervisor has been assigned)
- Report vacation and sick time to The Base Project Director
- Ensure that performance evaluations are carried out on a regular basis
- Advise The Base Project Director of any personnel issues that arise in a timely fashion
Outreach and Partnerships
- Work with the Volunteer and Community Partnerships Coordinator to manage high-level institutional partnerships
- Co-facilitates with other core staff the Original Griots program · Co-facilitate spaces with Lost Lyrics parents twice a year
- Extensive experience in project management, supervision (staff , students, volunteers) and training
- Extensive experience in grant writing, fundraising and reporting
- Mandatory experience in delivering youth programming and event planning
- Knowledge of youth culture(s)
- Experience working with youth from various cultural, ethnic, socio-economic, and developmental backgrounds
- Experience in developing alternative educational curriculum is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to balance community perspectives with administrative responsibilities
- Experience in practicing anti-oppression awareness and knowledge of anti-racist, anti-oppressive LGBTTQQ2SIA arts, culture and community building
- Experience developing co-operative learning experiences
- Excellent organizational, communication, leadership, team work, time management and group facilitation skills
- Demonstrated ability to make rational decisions in a fast-paced environment
- A flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends is required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs is mandatory
- Experience with WordPress and social media is a plus
How to Apply : Application Deadline: January 23rd, 2015.
Together with your resume, please forward a cover letter that includes your responses to the following questions:
- What interests you most about this position?
- Why are you passionate about working with Lost Lyrics?
- Based on our requirements, why are you a strong candidate?
- Briefly tell us about your current/most recent job. Why are you looking for a change?
- Please let us know of any other commitments you will have during this period of employment.
Please send your resume and cover letter with your responses to the above questions to The Lost Lyrics Hiring Committee at email@example.com
For more information about Lost Lyrics and Tides Canada Initiatives, please visit:
As Lost Lyrics is an initiative of The Base, a Project of Tides Canada Initiatives Society (TCI), the selected candidate will be an employee of TCI.
Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in the position, however, only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
We will accept applications until the position is filled. No recruiters please.